Laskowski & Wright LLP has been closely monitoring the updates surrounding the COVID-19 virus, and have determined the time is now for our office to implement policies designed to do our part in limiting transmission of the virus, protecting our clients and their families, and protecting our employees and their families. We all must do our part to limit the exposure and attempt to minimize the pressure on the health system to ensure those who need care the most can receive it in a timely manner. We very truly appreciate your cooperation in our efforts.
We have implemented the following changes, effective immediately:
- No in-person client meetings will be held. If you have a previously scheduled meeting, it is cancelled. You may contact the partner you were meeting with to discuss your options after you have reviewed the balance of this email.
- We encourage all clients to send their tax records electronically – please see information regarding the TinyScanner app below that will facilitate this for most people through the use of their device. This app will convert your images to a PDF, which is the most efficient format for our office to use, and we ask that you please use this app rather than taking pictures and emailing pictures.
- Faxing of tax records is also encouraged – our fax number is 1-306-384-4449. Please use a cover page with your first and last name and indicate the number of pages being sent.
- In the event you cannot send records electronically or via fax, please mail them to our office – mailing address is below.
- Our staff will be balancing the closure of schools and having kids at home, and as such many will be working remotely. Due to this change, we will not have regular office hours, and discourage clients from stopping in to drop off their records in person, as we cannot guarantee someone will be available, and the door may be locked.
For purposes of receiving a copy of your tax return for review, please indicate when you submit your records whether you prefer:
- Electronic copy – your entire tax return will be emailed to you for your review, as well as the required efile authorization forms. This will be the only copy of you receive of your tax return. If you have received electronic copies in the past, this will be the default method for delivery of your return for you again.
- Paper copy – your tax return will be mailed to you for review, and will include the required efile authorization form which must be signed and returned for our office via email, fax, or mail prior to April 30 before we can file your return. At this point we do not know whether mail will continue to operate under current standards, so this option may change if circumstances change or it becomes too close to the deadline to get your information to you in a timely manner. If you previously received a paper copy of your return but you are willing to switch to electronic copies, please indicate so when you submit your information.
For purposes of paying any outstanding invoices, we accept the following methods of payment:
- E-transfer sent from your online banking – you can use the email of the partner you deal with to send payment. These are automatically deposited so no password is necessary.
- Cheque sent via mail – mailing address is below
- At this time, we do not accept credit card payments. If something dramatic changes with the mail delivery system this may become an option, but it is not anticipated at this time.
- We discourage sending cash in the mail as there is no way to track it if it becomes lost or stolen and your invoice will be considered unpaid if we do not receive the cash.
Laskowski & Wright LLP – please mark it attention who you are sending it to
#4 – 810 Centennial Blvd
Warman, SK S0K 4S1
- Please download this app from the app store of your device – there is a free version or a paid version, and the free version should be sufficient. There are multiple options to choose, but the one we know works well is called Tiny Scanner, and the paid version is called Tiny Scanner Plus
- The app allows you to use your phone’s camera to take a picture of what you would like to send, and it will convert it to a PDF.
- To use the app:
- Click on the plus “+” sign in the bottom middle of the app – this will open a window that allows you to use the camera – you must allow access to your camera.
- Part way up from the bottom, on the right hand side, you can choose between Multi-Page and Single-Page – if you have several pages, please use Multi-Page.
- Use the blue circle button near the bottom to snap pictures of each page that you’d like to scan. Please attempt to center you page within the window and make it as clear as possible.
- When all pages have been scanned using your phone, to the right of the blue button there will be an image of a piece of paper with an arrow pointing to the right. Hit that arrow/page. It may ask if you want to process in color or black and white, choose black and white. It will then allow you to drag the corners to adjust the page, in the event the camera cut off some of what you wanted to send. Please review all pages, then choose Done
- In the top center it will say “DOC Mar ….” Which will include the date/time of the scan. If you click this, it will allow you to name the file. This may be helpful to use to name husband and wife’s documents separately. Rename if desired, and choose DONE
- Click SAVE in the bottom right corner, it will save the document to your phone.
- On the left side choose the EMAIL icon, and choose the Large file size if possible. This will bring up your regular email screen, where you can enter the email address of the person you deal with at the firm. If you’re unsure, please send to email@example.com If you receive a message that the file size is too big, then you have to choose email again and choose a smaller size.
- Please update the subject accordingly and hit send. You may also include any other pertinent information in the body of the email message as your normally would with other emails.
If the situation changes, we will provide additional information. We thank you again for your cooperation and wish you and your family all the best in staying healthy.